Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Blather and bother

The pantry/kitchen project has become quite real over the last couple of days. We have the cabinets, appliances, and countertops ordered and the contractor is on board as well. Watching TV doesn't do much to alleviate my stress over this situation. We've done all the stuff you're supposed to do when you do major work on your house. We got 4 different contractor guys to come to the house and give us quotes (although only 3 of them actually gave us quotes. The 4th guy was a total goober and I didn't want to work with him anyway). We hemmed and hawed over who we wanted to work with. We tried to remove ourselves emotionally from the project and make it all about business; who could we trust to do the work as planned, on budget and on time. But those goddamn shows like Holmes on Homes have me completely on edge. I just want everything to be done.

Ultimately I think we went with the right guy but if I'm honest, he's also the guy I personally liked the most so there goes that whole "keep yourself distant and keep emotion out of it" angle. Whatevs. I think it'll be fine. Honestly, I have no way of knowing do I? I mean, I've looked him up in the BBB and all that stuff but at some point it becomes a leap of faith. Fingers crossed he doesn't screw us! Nah, it'll be fine (that's me freaking myself out and then me again trying to reassure myself...I have a very complicated inner dialogue). Work starts in a couple weeks and I'm already pulling wallpaper down. It's gonna be messy for a bit.

The hockey play-offs are coming! Yes, I'm still watching hockey. I know, I've been able to keep to a plan for more than 2 weeks. Huzzah! I only wish that the Bruins didn't suck so bad so that when I watch them it doesn't make me yell at the TV. And you have to understand that if I know that you're not playing well, that means you must be playing really badly. Meh, they'll make it in and then get eliminated in the first round. I'm certainly not going to bore you with my analysis of the games or teams here because, well, I don't know what I'm talking about. Buy me a drink some night and I'll talk for hours about hockey and all other subjects I know little to nothing about. It will be my gift to you.

Meanwhile, I wasn't kidding when I asked for peeps to submit a song using the shitty, shitty lyrics I posted a little while back. These are honest-to-goodness crap lyrics written by a 16-year-old Mark sitting on his twin bed in his room in his parent's apartment circa 1986. You can't make this shit up. So have at it ok? Just contact me either via a comment below or ye olde email address and I'll post that shit right here so that all 8 of my readers can hear it. It'll be awesome on a whole new level. C'mon! Do it! You know you want to...or at least you now know I want you to. Pretty please?

No comments: