Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sure Would Like to Hear Some Music

The radio in my car suddenly stopped working last week and I have yet to figure out why that is. I did the usual checking of the fuses but they all seem to be in order. I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it (on the advice of a car guy on the internets) in the hopes that it would do something. I guess it is the car equivalent of turning your computer on and off to see if that helps. It didn't. Right now the radio sits in the middle of my dash like a dark rectangle of shame. I'm sorry I failed you radio. I do not know how to fix you because I lack the skills to diagnose the problem and repair you. I'm afraid that I will most likely just replace you. Please don't look at me like that. No, I don't know if it's just a loose wire or some other "simple" thing that made you up and die. I don't...look, I ...it's just that ... can I get a word in here? Thanks. I am sorry radio, but you have not been working since December 30th and I have to tell you; if I have to go through another week of commuting without music to distract me from the realization that I will have to do this for many, many more years...let's just say I'd rather not think about that right now.

There are other problems in my house that keep reminding me that I am not an electrician or a plumber. The house is fairly old (1920's) and the wiring is, for the most part, suspect at best. We have replaced a bunch of things (including everything in the kitchen and the actual electric panel in the basement) but there still is a large amount of sketchy plugs and shitty ceiling fixtures as well as switches that may or may not do anything. As of this writing there are exposed wires poking out of what used to be a switch for the overhead light in the spare bedroom (I have at least capped them so that no one can zap themselves accidentally. You'd really have to work at it to get electrocuted at this stage up there). We have substituted a floor lamp as a "temporary" solution. However, it has been there for months now. It's pathetic.

The plumbing issues stem from a lot of DIY work that previous owners have attempted in years long gone. There is a veritable spider web of pipes in the basement that I find daunting. Near as I can tell, most of it can be eliminated and replaced with a couple of relatively straight runs but again, I should point out that I have no actual experience with plumbing. Maybe all those crazy dips and bends and runs that go nowhere are essential to keeping everything working properly. Probably not but I don't feel like I'm qualified to say for sure. A couple years ago I bought a plumbing starter kit in anticipation of venturing down there and making everything shiny and new. But once I realized that open flame and heavy metals are involved I retreated back upstairs to my computer and have not made any attempt at "fixing" things down there.

Why so skittish? Well two main reasons: 1) Electrical work if done improperly can burn your goddamn house down. 2) Plumbing work if done improperly can flood your goddamn house. If I had someone with the skills who was willing to walk me through doing some of this work I'm fairly certain I could do a lot of it. But as of this moment, such a person does not exist. I know people who do know how to do some of this (actually, I have a cousin who is a fantastic electrician and has done work in the house before but he's super crazy busy and it's hard for him to find the time. Plus, he has a family and lives in New Hampshire so I don't like to impose), but it's not like they live next door to me. For any of them to help it'd basically be a giant pain in their ass. And so, I have not asked. Will I ask? Dunno. Maybe. But for now I'm just ignoring the problems in hope that they will resolve themselves. That'll work right?

And now for some conversation whiplash: I feel like doing an 5-Song Shuffle. You know the rules right? Of course you do. Get your iPod or whatever you use to listen to your tunes and put it on shuffle. Write down the first 5 songs that come up without skipping any. No cheating now. If something hideous comes up, that's on you. Please leave your list in the comments section. I know that there's those damn squiggly letters that you have to enter but that's to prevent crazy spam messages from appearing in the comments section. Ok, here goes:

The Gap Band –  Early in the Morning (oooh, a STRONG opening! I want a shiny silver suit with fringe too! flaming drumsticks! wheeeeee!)
The Walkmen – Another One Goes By (ow. MP3 whiplash)
The Clash – Tommy Gun
Jay Z - Never Change
Semi Precious Weapons – Magnetic Baby (such a fun, poppy, goofball band)

Hmm, not too shabby. Ok, bye!

1 comment:

Guy Who Drives The Plow said...

Surely Flunky Boy has some snow-related venting to do? Bring it on!