Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Friends All Drive Porsches, I Must Make Amends

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm back.

I kinda took a break from this for a lil' bit and enjoyed not sitting in front of a computer all day this week. This is my limbo week where I float between two jobs. I'm starting the new one this upcoming Monday (the 27th) and I left the other on the 17th of this month. It's an odd feeling for me since I'm not used to resigning from jobs. I usually just get laid off which throws me into a minor panic as I scramble for the next career path. This time I chose the time and place. Nice deal if you can swing it.

So what's news? The new job mostly, but since that's the "unknown" I haven't been obsessing over that (much). The most newsy news I have is that I have purchased a Mercedes Benz. I'll just let that sink in for a second. Now calm down. It's not what you think. I bought a 1982 300D. That's "D" as in "diesel". It cost me and my bud Andy a grand total of $800. It is, for all intents and purposes, a POS. But we shall bring it back from the brink of "total bleah" all the way to the rim of "meh, it's not completely awful".

I'm pretty excited about this project. It will represent the first time I've ever attempted a restoration – did I just say "restoration" (well, ok type)? There will be no restoration per se. This is certainly not going to be a show car or anything like that. We're just trying to get a car that needs some help back into good enough shape that it could be used daily again. That's the main goal. There are other goals too like keeping the costs down and not killing each other. Here's hoping we succeed.

As far as time frame on the project goes we haven't really hashed that out yet. Andy's a new daddy so his time is going to be much tighter than mine but I think we need to set up a schedule of some sort once we figure out what actually needs to be done on the car. Luckily the thing starts and runs (and stops!) right now so I'm hopeful that we haven't bitten off more than we can chew. I haven't taken any pics yet (we're picking it up on Saturday so I'll take some then) but I do have this shot of it taken from the seller's ad:

lookit that dirty old girl. Ain't she purty?

I think it's frickin' cool as hell. I'll document our progress (if there is any) and maybe even fire up another blog about that thing so as to not bore people with car stuff. As for now I'm gonna go meet some friends for a few beverages.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm.

Andy said...

i think we might even be able to shoot for "well, i've driven worse" condition!

gnarburg said...

I can attain some groovy California parts from junk yards for that thing.

You keep me posted on your needs list.
And don't ask for an entire interior.

d. a. link