Friday, May 22, 2009

Tech Fail

My MP3 player doohickey shit the bed last night. I dunno what happened. I had been added some more stuff onto it (including the song "Red Skies" by The Fixx...it's been embedded in my brain for a good week now so I figured that this might help me purge myself of it...no such luck as of this writing) earlier in the evening and everything was working fine. I went downstairs to play a song I wanted The Wiff to hear (Daft Punk's "Robot Rock") and while I was scrolling through the songs to find it, the player just went kaput. I stared at it for a couple of minutes while I kept pushing the on/off button several hundred times and mumbling "Oh no you don't, not on my watch! You will LIVE DAMMIT!".

I ignored Amy's questions about what was wrong and quickly went into the kitchen to see if I could get it to work (my logic is impeccable you will agree. When some high-tech thingamabob doesn't work, just move it to another room and try it again. Sound advice). I could not. I admitted defeat to myself and reluctantly pressed the tiny "reset" button on the bottom in hopes that maybe that'll do the trick. It sort of did in that I got the thing to fire up but not before getting this message emblazoned across the screen "After recovering from an error, the operating system will reboot after erasing all media. Continue?" Sigh.

After wiping the entire hard drive it did actually get its act together and reboot. I plugged into the laptop to start the reloading process thinking that at least now I have an opportunity to put stuff on it that I'll actually listen to. Ah, but the stupid fucking thing wouldn't let me add anything would it? Nope. It just stared blankly back at me with the "busy" symbol on a continuous loop. The urge to smash it against the wall was tremendous. I opted to drop it on the floor lightly (somewhat lightly) and ignore it. I then used the interwebs to research newer shinier MP3 players. Fuck you Toshiba Gigabeat with your craptastic battery life and clunky interface, you shall be forever banished to my attic.

So I'm now in the market for a new toy. Stupid jerky technology got me all addicted and stuff. Hmph.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

shoulda got an ipod