Friday, September 19, 2008

Shutup Billy

I was in a training this week from Tuesday until Thursday and I was glad to have the break from my routine (although driving down Rt. 128 at 7:30 a.m. with a 5-speed is not fun: 1st gear, 2nd gear...1st gear, 2nd gear...3RD GEAR!...1st gear, etc). The class itself was helpful and I think there's some things that I can use but for the most part it was lost on me not because of the topic or the materials or the fact that I'm a big dummy but because of Billy Joel. Yep. Billy Joel won't shut the hell up in my head for some reason.

Lemme 'splain. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I happened across the BBC broadcast of a show Billy Joel did for them back in 1978. I guess it was the first time it was broadcast in the states and PBS was showing it during their beg-athon. So hey, cool I haven't heard some of these songs in a while and who doesn't like a little Billy Joel every now and then? Seemed harmless enough. So I watched it and it was a good show. I'm not a head-over-heels fan or anything but that band and those songs will always be welcome in my world.

Then it happened. I'd be doing something, anything really and all of a sudden the song "Movin' Out" would creep into my head. It's been in there interrupting my thoughts for a good 2 weeks now. All during the class, the instructor would be talking and I'd be listening and then all of a sudden "...he's trading in his Chevy for a Cadillac-ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK!" would spring up and just ruin any chance of me grasping whatever concept was being offered. I tried staring at the instructor and really concentrating on what he was saying but ultimately that just made In-My-Head-Billy louder and more apt to mix verses which, in my anal retentive ways, made me have to correct In-My-Head-Billy and make him sing the corrected verse over. And over.

No, In-My-Head-Billy; Anthony is the one who works in the grocery store and is saving his pennies. It's Sgt. O'Leary who works at Mr. Cacciatores (down on Sullivan Street). Get it right will ya?

You outta know by now.

No comments: