Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Only 8 More to Go

'Sup bitches? 2010 all up in yer grill. Woot WOOT! ... Sorry about all that. It sounded funny in my head. How's things? Oh right, I'm supposed to be telling y'all (hee! "y'all") how things are with me. That's kind of the whole point of this blog nonsense. Blogs are stupid. Why do I do this anyway? Oh yea, my ego.

Wanna hear how I spent New Year's Day? No? Then stop reading and go do something constructive with your life. Go on, shoo! Git! ... Are they gone? Good. On New Year's Eve we had my sis Mary and our friend Chris (a.k.a. CK43) over to eat chinese food and hang out, watch TV and (literally) ring in the new year. It was pretty mellow. On New Year's Day since sistah soul-jah stayed over-night, we all had a lovely breakfast that the Wiff made for us.  Fabulous. After Mary left, Oliver the cat made an appearance finally and all was well. Oliver is really not a friendly cat when it comes to visitors. He likes us OK, he tolerates us and will allow us to pet him occasionally. He's just super jumpy around everyone else. Dunno why exactly but I suspect it has to do with when we had the plumber guys in the house for 3 weeks replacing our heating system. We had all the cats corralled in the Wiff's office on the first floor and all the noise and strange people might have fucked him up.

So the bulk of the day passes with nothing out of the ordinary happening. I went upstairs to work on the design for the label we need for the beer we brewed (details forthcoming). Suddenly I hear this huge crash of what sounded like a bunch of plates hitting the floor (it sounded very much like when the piece of the ceiling fell down). I called out to see if the Wiff was OK but she didn't answer. Uh oh. I went to go downstairs and met a very scared Oliver coming racing up the stairs at full throttle. He tore past me and went immediately under our bed. I went downstairs and into the dining room to see the Wiff standing in front of the china cabinet with a couple of broken bowls on the floor in front of her. "You hurt?" I asked. "No, I don't know what happened. They just slipped. Oliver lost his mind though", she said. "Yea, we ran into each other," I said.

And that was it for awhile. We cleaned up and went back to whatever it was we were doing before the mini-drama. Later we had dinner, played a couple games on the Wii (which I totally lost by the way. The Wiff schooled me in Wii Frisbee golf). We had opened a bottle of wine to have with dinner so I had a couple of glasses. At about 11pm or so I noticed that Oliver had not come down since the incident. Now I know he's a big weenie and all but usually he'll get over his fear enough when his dinner time comes along. But he hadn't this time. Uh oh. I decided to go up and check on him. I went upstairs and turned on the light in the bedroom. There he was sitting on our bed, bleeding. Oh fuck! I picked him up (carefully) and took him into the bathroom where the lighting is better to see what I could see. First thing I noticed when I put him down (gently) was that he was favoring his left, rear leg. I looked at it and there was a nasty deep cut right at the heel of his left foot.

I called Amy up and we tried and failed to put a gauze bandage on it to stop the bleeding. When we realized that wasn't going to work she went to call the vet hospital in Woburn. Did I mention it was snowing? Yea, it was snowing a lot. It took about 35-40 minutes to get to the place and he didn't make a peep during the entire ride. Poor lil' dude. They showed us to an examination room and after a couple of minutes the doctor came in. She checked out his foot and noticed that one of his nails was also damaged (most likely in his mad scramble up the stairs). She said that he's going to need stitches but they could not do it right that moment. Um, ok...then when? She couldn't say exactly since there was a staff shortage with this being a holiday. Oh crud... forgot about that. The doctor said we could leave him there and come back in the morning or we could wait there but she couldn't say what time they'd be finished. Sigh. So yes, we stayed.

The Wiff and I went over to the waiting room and watched some TV (Iron Chef and then some Doctor Who episodes...honestly not much of it registered. I think the mystery ingredient was the Ood or something). I tried to take a nap on the Most Uncomfortable Couch in Existence. Seriously. I don't know who thought that it would be a good idea to have a 3-seat couch that has little humps in between each of the cushions. Try lying on that shit for a while, it blows. We opted to have Oliver wait with us in the TV room until they were ready to take care of him and around 2am (yes, 2 fucking AM) someone came in and off he went. They sewed him up and gave him some pain meds. The meds made him all loopy and sad and he had the dreaded cone of shame on over his head. We finally got out of there at around 4 in the goddamn morning. The snow was still coming down. That ride home sucked. Rt. 128 was almost completely covered in snow and I couldn't really see where the lanes were. We creeped along and made it back safely by 4:40 or so.

Now the poor little guy is isolated in one of the spare bedrooms and he keeps walking into stuff since the cone messes up his navigation. Here's the kicker: we're leaving for Ireland on Thursday so now we have to board him as well. It's just going to be Morticia left in the house (oh, and our friend Val too. She's going to house/cat sit for us). I feel bad for him but it was such a freak accident and there's really no other choice at this stage. He needs to have his meds every day for 14 days so off to the cat boarder he goes. At least Molly will be in the same facility, just not the same cage. I feel bad but not bad enough to cancel my trip. Fuck that shit.

And that was how 2010 started for us. Not so great but it really could have been much, much worse. The doctor said that he managed to cut the skin all the way down to the sheath that covers the tendon in his heel. Just a tiny bit more and it would have cut the sheath and perhaps the tendon itself. That would have been potentially crippling for him. He should recover completely in a couple of weeks. Right now I have to go and head over to the dentist to get my crown installed finally. Lay-tah!

No comments: