Thursday, March 5, 2009

Really? That's THIS Weekend? Shit.

I need to be more honest with myself. I still tend to suffer under the delusion that I'm social and a night owl. This from a guy who is usually asleep by 10 pm (or earlier...wassup ladies?). Back in September I had tickets to go see The Walkmen play in Cambridge and I didn't end up going. The show was on a Thursday night (a "school night") and I had been in a training session all week so I was dead tired. I was driving back from the training, stuck in traffic on the dreaded Rt. 128 when it dawned on me that there was no way I would be able to get myself to go to the show that night. If the show was at like 8 or 9 pm then maybe (and that's a pretty big 'maybe' too) I would have made it. But they didn't even go on until 11pm which means that I'd get home, have dinner, watch a lil' boob tube and then try to pry myself off of my chair to go BACK into town for the show. I'm too old and tired for that. Especially if I have to drag myself into work the next day.

Ok, so lesson learned right? Nope. Back in December (I think) The Wiff found out that And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead were coming to town and we should totally go! Hmm. They were playing on a Sunday night in March so I could even take the next day off if I planned for it. Which of course I didn't. Since we bought the tickets so far in advance, I procrastinated on asking for that Monday off. Flash forward to a week before the show and The Wiff reminds me that "Hey guess what? The show is this Sunday (last Sunday now, March 1st)." Oh crap. I can't possibly get the Monday off because of stuff going on at work. Oh crap. There's also a huge-ass snow storm coming that night as well. "Um...honey? Yeah, um...I don't think I wanna go to this show either." See? I'm dumb.

That's 2 shows within a span of 5 months that I've blown off AFTER buying tickets. I even tried desperately to get someone to buy the tickets off me before they became useless but alas, everyone I know is also old and tired. Either that or they didn't know who the band was.

But on March 14th, The Wiff and I are going to see Louis CK at The Orpheum and I'm really excited for this show. Plus: it's on a Saturday! I'm a big fan of his comedy and we scored the same seats that we had for the Eddie Izzard show. Bonus.

Oh by the by, I'm going to do the Five Boro Bike Tour on May 3rd down in New York. Now I just have to get back into biking shape within 2 months. Hmm, years of abuse and neglect turned 180° in a really short time? No problem. I'm looking forward to this ride because it's a ride not a frickin' race. I can pedal my girth at my own damn pace thank you very much. Plus it's a good excuse to hang out with my friends Dave and Solh. I just hope I don't blow it off. No promises.

No comments: